Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Special Time of Prayer - Today's Kindling



From time to time, I will interrupt our normal reading to give you a worship activity that I think will help you stay focused on worship as the goal of time in the Word.  I encourage you today to pray through the following pray.  Let the Lord use it to kindle you affections for Him that you may love Him and others better today.  After praying make a brief list of things you need to confess to Him and seek His help to change you today.  We will resume normal readings tomorrow.  

Your brother,     Tim Bryant 

Prayer to Begin Your Time in the Word
Oh Father, glorify your name.  Draw me by your grace to know you to the point of desiring to fear and glorify You aright (Ps 86:11). Use your Word to teach me this knowledge of You and fear of You (Ps 119:38; Ps 34:9-14).  Illumine the study of your word to the eyes of my heart that your glory may be unveiled to me that I may give you the respect and awe you deserve today (Rev 15:3-4; Eph 1:15-19).   I want to know You so well that it is the delight of my life to fear You, like my Lord Jesus Christ did while on earth (Is 11:3).  It is through Christ that I have been given personal and accurate knowledge of you as my Father (Jn 17:3).  Through Christ, teach me to know You so well that I both tremble and rejoice in the fact that you would choose me to know You. (Ps 2:11; Phil 2:12-13)  Teach me to know You so well that I both tremble and rejoice when Your Word reveals to me Your will in a matter (Is 66:2).  

Help me live more and more of my moments and dealings on earth in the awareness that I live every moment “before the face God” (Latin – “Corem Deo”) - all that I am is completely exposed and vulnerable to the eyes of You with whom I have to do. (Heb 4:12-13) – help me comprehend this, Oh God.  Oh God, forgive me for taking your existence so lightly (Heb 12:5-6; Gen 5:2).  So many deeds, so many thoughts, so many motives so unresponsive to You – forgive me, through the blood of Christ (Rom 3:10-18).  I take so lightly Your justice, holiness, righteousness, perfection, discipline, sovereign control, greatness, power – I resist and transgress these, Your glories, not only in my action but in my lack of attentiveness to them and affections for them.  Forgive me and awaken my heart (Ps 86:11). 

I take so lightly your goodness, love, grace, mercy, compassion, kindness, knowledge, wisdom, understanding, patience, forgiveness, sacrifice and favor.   Let me be moved by the Truth of these for you are worthy of much more attention and affection and devoted surrender than I have given You, Oh great King. 

 Oh God, unite my heart to fear Thy name (Ps 86:11).  Teach me to revere you in my actions, thoughts, and motives as I relate with others (Eph 5:21) that I may exercise and fan into flame this precious gift, this fear of the Lord.

Help me not to look or speak down on others, for you will judge me in like manner – but love them, as you have loved me (James 4:11-12; Rom 14:10-13); .  Help me not be impatient with others, for you been infinitely patient and still are, with the likes of me.  Help me not claim my rights, for before You.  I have no rights only responsibilities and opportunities and wonderful undeserved blessings (Phil 2:3-5; Rom 12; Eph 1:3ff).  Help me forbear and forgive others for sins against me, for you will withhold forgiveness from me if I do not (Matt 18:32-35; Mk 11:25). 

Help me actively speak to others about the Truth of your Word and the Gospel of Jesus Christ as one who speaks from sincerity in the sight of God - before your eyes…as one who knows they will stand condemned before you apart from faith and repentance in Christ (2 Cor 2:17; Eph 6:18; Col 4:4-5) - that I may not shrink back from speaking when I ought, nor speak wrongly when I do.  Help me not to fear the consequences or reward of others, but only You alone (Lam 3:38; Heb 11:6). 

I want to live as one who fears and gives full attention to your promises, as well as your warnings, above any other promises or warnings for I know this is true worship.  Oh my God, I know the fear of the Lord is clean (Ps 19:9); it is a life-giving fountain (Prov 14:27) that produces wisdom, obedience (Ps 111:10), fulfillment, safety (Ps 145:19), Divine treasure (Ps 31:19), confidence, future safety for children (Prov 14:26), and happiness (Ps 128:1), and so much more. 
Oh Lord, let me know you so deeply that I fear You – that the best and main thoughts of my day are about You and to You – bless me with this life-giving fear of the Lord.  I know that if I learn to fear you, I will delight in You (Is 11:3).  I know if I fear you, you will delight in me (Ps 147:11) – I want this. 

I was made to fear, trust, and love something supremely – You alone are worthy, may I realize this – help me do so.  The knowledge of You produces the fear that produces all else!  Jesus said, “no one knows the Father accept the one to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him” (Matt 11:27).  Thank you Christ for giving me this knowledge of the Father, thank you Father for giving me the knowledge of the Son – this has changed my life and eternity.  I commit to making time to know You and to responding to what your Word leads me to see and do.  Oh, Father, glorify Thy name.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this brother! There are a lot of verses here to look up, but it was worth it! God's Word is so powerful, living and convicting. He has been showing me Hebrews 4:12 over and over the past couple of weeks. By God's grace, may I learn to TRULY tremble at His Word and walk in the fear of the Lord so that my life may be pleasing to Him. I love Him SO much and want to walk with Him closer each day and be changed more and more into His image that He may be glorified in my life. This is not always easy and I often fail, but ... His power is great and His presence sweet! P.S. The last reference should be Matthew 11:27 instead of 10:27. :)

    ReplyDelete